An attempt to recount the efforts of those who counted it a privilege to sacrifice so that the Word of the Lord might be heard, taught, and lived.
Historical Time Line
The following historical chronicle of the Cedar Grove Baptist Church, Simpsonville, South Carolina, is an attempt to recount the efforts of those who counted it a privilege to sacrifice so that the Word of the Lord might be heard, taught, and lived. Thus, it is with a deep sense of indebtedness and thanksgiving that a special salute is extended to those both -living and dead who have made outstanding and sacrificial contributions to the growth of our spiritual heritage.
Thus, the following historical record is offered for the reader’s examination, appreciation, and inspiration.
Post-Civil War Period
Tom Moore, a local white citizen donates several parcels of land to allow the establishment of a place of worship for Blacks in the city of Simpsonville. Several streets in close proximity of the Church still bears his name.
A brush arbor structure was built and dedicated under the leadership of Reverend Tom Jones in July of 1870, due to abundance of trees at the location the church was called Cedar Grove it is one of the oldest church families in Simpsonville. In 1876 plans were drawn for the construction of an actual building due to the challenges that meeting in current structure presented. The church building made of pine and poplar logs was completed in the summer of 1877 in time for the August revival.
The congregation of Cedar Grove had grown to approximately 200 members and plans were made in 1937 to construct a frame building to meet this need. The frame church was finished in 1938.
The frame church underwent major renovation and was bricked in 1962.
An educational wing was added in 1972 allowing the church to offer additional innovative programs and services to its membership and the surrounding community.
Due to the growth in membership a brand new church containing a sanctuary that seats over 350 people, classrooms and a library was built adjacent to the existing building and was completed in October 1986 and dedicated in November 1986. The previous sanctuary was re-purposed and is still currently in use.
In order to minister to the complete person; soul, mind, and body groundbreaking was held in June 2000 for the Family Life Center this contained a gymnasium with a stage, additional classrooms and offices, a commercial kitchen and several meeting rooms.